Saturday, July 1, 2017

Marfa, TX

This past week, my mom and 4 of us kids drove out to West Texas to visit Big Bend National Park. We had heard a lot about Marfa; a town not too far from Alpine, which was where we were staying, so, we set aside a day of our trip just for Marfa.
Marfa is probably most famous for its mystery lights that supposedly show up on route 67 every night anytime between dusk and midnight. We went to the viewing area two different nights. One night we stayed until 9:30 and one until 10:30, but we decided to give up because we're Payne's and well, we would rather be in bed. We did see pictures though, and they seem cool.
Something else you might've heard of is "Prada Marfa" which is a piece of art structure that was made by two men and Prada actually had nothing to do with it, other than donating some bags and shoes and giving them permission to use their brand name. It's an hour out in the middle of nowhere, and I mean nowhere. There is not a gas station or rest stop in sight for 74 miles. If you ask me, I do think it's kind of strange, but I can always appreciate a good piece of art.
We also found a great hole-in-the-wall sandwich place called "Squeeze Marfa", and it was probably one of the most delicious paninis I have ever had. Another thing about Marfa is that there is tons of cool art.
Although Marfa is kind of eerie and gives my mom "Twilight Zone vibes", I think its really cool. I think the best way I can describe this town is a mix between a cowboy town and a hippie town. My mom thinks that within the next few years, Marfa will be a "happening place", as she says, and I think she's probably right. If you ever find yourself out in the middle of nowhere West Texas, and feel like exploring the wonderful place that is Marfa, I would highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment