Wednesday, November 9, 2016

My Thoughts on the Presidential Election 2016

I will be honest, as someone who has people of all different races, religions, gender identifications, sexual orientations, disabilities, and family backgrounds close to my heart, I am truly disappointed. It's personally hard for me to accept someone who is discriminatory against all of the above as the president of the United States. I remember walking into my 6th grade math class eight years ago and hearing my teacher say, "You all will remember this day for the rest of your lives, for the first African American president has been elected." I always thought that this would help our country grow and become closer as one race- the human race. We have come a long way to accept all types of people, and now is not the time to lose hope. We can and we will work towards equality in all areas.
Growing up, I was always taught to love everyone, despite our differences, and to treat others the way I would want to be treated. After learning that Donald Trump was elected the president, and now millions of people woke up today fearing what would happen to them or their loved ones, I am devastated. I hope that Trump will realize what bigotry he has displayed and soon understand what responsibility he has taken on as our leader.
To those of you who have declared that you have lost hope in America, the world or even humanity, let me ask you this; Have you lost hope in our God who created us with the same hands in which He created the stars? Have you lost hope in our God who can move mountains? Have you lost hope in our God who can and who will make greater things out of our mistakes? Our God is greater than any president, or leader that any nation has ever had.
Although I am not completely thrilled that Donald Trump has been elected president, I am a strong believer that people are good. I have not lost hope. I am still fearful of what might happen to immigrants, those of the LGBTQ community who are married, those of all types of races, disabilities, mental illnesses, and religions, but I have faith that God will make something good of this. He has a plan. Put your hope and trust in Him, and He will shine through.
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment