Saturday, December 10, 2016

What 2016 Taught Me

Here is a taste of what I learned this year. I hope you enjoy!
Time heals wounds; 2015 came with a lot of hurt and heartache, but 2016 has been a time of healing. This year has given me time to reflect and learn more about who I am and who I want to become. I am grateful for the time I've had to grow and become a better person.
Be nice to yourself- talk to yourself the way you would talk to someone you love, for self doubt will be your creative downfall.
It's okay to say "no". It's okay to set boundaries. If you are uncomfortable or flat-out don't want to do something, you don't have to. It's not against the law to do something for yourself and no one is going to hate you for saying "no".
Pay more attention to your thoughts. What you're thinking is what you're attracting. Everything begins and ends in your mind and what you give power to has power over you.
Focusing on the negative destroys the positive. No one likes a "Debbie Downer", and if you're that person, try and transform your thoughts into something positive. It may be easier said than done, but it can happen. I oftentimes found myself focusing too much on the negative things in life, so I made a list of 100 things that make me happy, and I became more aware of my surroundings and opened my eyes to see how blessed I am to have this life.
Breathe in the future, breathe out the past, and don't be afraid of change. Some things will never be how they used to be, and that's okay. The only thing you can do is move on, and live in the present. You don't have time to waste worrying about the past or even the future; trust that God has a plan and that everything will be okay. After all, sometimes you will lose something good and gain something even better. "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all." -Oscar Wilde
There's always something coming; good or bad. It's going to force you to grow, and in the midst of your struggles, you will find a reason to keep going. It take a lot of courage to push through hard times, but never give up, good things are coming your way.
Acceptance of yourself is far more important than acceptance from others. Don't ever change to impress someone. Change because it makes you a better person and leads you to a better future.
If an opportunity doesn't exist, create it. I have seen this a lot in my parents. They inspire me everyday to be a better person, and watching them chase their dreams is a big part of that. They create opportunities not only for themselves, but for others to learn and grow in amazing ways.
What you see in other people is a reflection of yourself. You can choose to be kind or you can choose to be hateful; there's no in-between.
The most beautiful things in life are moments and feelings. You might not always remember the whole experience, but you will remember how you felt in that very moment- and that's all that matters.
Your feelings are always valid and you can take as much time as you need to heal. Don't let anyone make you feel wrong for being disappointed, upset, joyous, anything... you have the right to feel so you need to feel. Feelings are important.
You can't find happiness in other people. In high school especially, I always found myself depending on other people to make me happy. When someone let me down or didn't live up to my expectations, it seemed like the end of the world. It took me a while to realize that the only person who can truly make me happy is myself and that I can't get that from someone else.
Family is everything. There was a period in my life where I always chose my friends over my family. I would blow off plans I had with my sisters when a better offer from a friend came along. Something very important I've learned is that my sisters won't be the same age forever, and neither will I. One of the main reasons I chose to stay close to home for college was because I didn't want to miss watching my siblings grow up. Getting time to watch them grow into such beautiful young people has been such a blessing, and they have given me some of the most precious memories that I will treasure always.
If you're not happy now, just know that it's never too late to start over.
2016 has had it's ups and downs, but it's definitely been a year of growth and positivity. 2015 was a very rough year for me, and this year has been so much better. I had opportunities to travel to new places, experience new things, and to enjoy the small moments. Sometimes going to your favorite coffee shop with a good friend can be just as fun as traveling the world- it's all how you choose to look at it.
Be thankful for today because in one moment, your entire life could change.

No comments:

Post a Comment